Thursday, May 14, 2009

H1B Approved and Currently on OPT : Can I transfer H1B ?


Thursday, May 14, 2009 | , , , ,

Students on OPT, who have been recently approved for H1B always have the question "I am currently on OPT and my H1B application was approved. Can I change my Job and transfer H1B to new employer?"

Answer to "Can I Change my Job? " will be Yes, you can change job on OPT whenever you want. There is no obligation to work for any employer. Employment in US is at will, and one can change job anytime he/she wants.

Tricky part will be "Can I transfer my H1B to new employer?". Individual can transfer their H1B only after October 1st, which is official start date for your H1B. To benefit from "portability" - being able to transfer the H-1B from one employer to another - the H-1B must be in effect, and thus the transfer cannot occur until the October effective date. Although the petition can be submitted before that time. But case will be approved only after October 1st.


You Might Also Like :


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post

Post a Comment